Friday, February 10, 2012

Easy whole wheat dinner rolls


We absolutely devour these rolls. The recipe calls for making the dough in a bread machine, but I would suppose that if you are a regular bread maker you could figure out how to make the dough by hand. I use the bread machine because I have one and it makes it crazy easy to make these.

I found this recipe somewhere online, and I apologize that I can't remember the source.

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
1 Cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
1 Egg
2 Cups Bread flour (I just use a finely ground unbleached wheat flour)
1 1/4 Cups whole wheat flour (again, I use a finely ground whole wheat)
1/4 Cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp yeast
additional butter melted for brushing on tops of rolls, if desired

1. Place all ingredients (except melted butter for brushing) in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer of your machine.
2. Select Dough/Manual cycle (do not use the Delay cycle). Keep in mind that this usually takes around 1 1/2 hours.
3. When machine is finished, remove dough from pan and place on lightly floured surface. Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes.
4. Grease bottom and sides of a 13x9 inch pan. Divide dough into 15 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball; place in pan. Brush with melted butter, if desired. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 375 degrees, and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cool on a wire rack.
We like nice big rolls, so I use a smaller pan and only make 9 rolls instead of 15.

We had these last night with yummy chicken soup (Thursday: Comfort Food :)) and a salad.
Delicious!