Friday, April 20, 2012

From my kitchen Friday: Busy mom's lasagna

Last night was comfort food night, and on the menu was lasagna. The problem was that I didn't have enough time to pre-boil the noodles, and as it was I was already running late. I decided to take a big chance and made up the whole lasagna with the uncooked noodles (regular noodles, not the "no boil" ones, I can never bring myself to pay the extra money for them). After assembling the dish, but before I put the extra cheese on the top, I very gently poured 1 cup of water over the whole thing. Then I put the shredded mozzarella on top, covered it with aluminum foil, and baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes. I then took the foil off and checked the noodles. Perfect! I baked it uncovered for a bit longer to brown up the top.   

At some point in the baking process, I put an old cookie sheet on the rack under the rack the lasagna was on because it was boiling over a bit.
I'd say it was a little messy, probably because of the water, and I would maybe add a little less next time, but it was no messier than a lasagna you would buy at the store and bake. Then again, isn't lasagna always messy?
Anyway, it was delicious! The noodles were perfectly cooked, and I have a feeling I will be using this lazy version every time! And may, in fact, make it more than I usually do because it was so easy! Everyone loved it :)

Happy Friday!

No comments: