Thursday, July 3, 2008

Garden updates


Libby and I went out and did some much needed renovating in the garden this morning. Since we have been sick the last several days (and plus I was out of commission a few days before that because my back started acting up), I haven't been out there in a while. The potatos have just gone everywhere, because I didn't know that I needed to continue to hill them as they got bigger. The cucumber is barely making it because the potatos are suffocating it. Some of the potato plants just look awful because of some kind of disease or something. So, work needed done.


The top picture is the garden before any work was done. The second picture is of the aweful state of some of the potato plants. What I did was dug up a lot of the potatos and actually pulled several of the plants themselves out of the garden to make more room.




This, my friends, is what happens when you don't continue to hill your potato plants as they grow. They just fall all over the place, with not a care in the world about what they cover up. They're just tired of trying to hold their own weight against all of the wind and rain.

Libby had a great time helping me pull weeds and pull potatos out of the ground.

Edited to add: That isn't just a random trash can in the middle of our yard. It's where I keep my compost.

No comments: