Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pumpkin pumpkin everywhere

Remember when I said before that a good thing to remember about gardening is to not compost your Halloween (or any) pumpkin? Well, here's why. I have been composting since we moved into our house a little over a year ago in preparation for this year's garden. After Halloween last year, we threw our pumpkin in the compost bin mostly just to get it out of the way. So, about a week after I planted my garden, I noticed little plants starting to pop up everywhere, even in places where I didn't plant anything. Long story short, I had pumpkins growing EVERYWHERE!! Those seeds overwintered in the bin, and took root after I tilled the compost into the soil. I have pulled up at least 40 pumpkin plants, and I left one in. See how it is taking up so much space, and it's starting to go down over the little hill. I almost left a total of three plants in, but I'm glad I changed my mind! Boy, and you thought cucumbers take over. This second picture is the pumpkin plant flowering. I don't know exactly how it works (maybe someone can fill me in) but I know it flowers so it can be 'fertilized' to bear the fruit, but does each flower turn into a pumpkin? If so, I will have enough pumpkins for the whole street, plus some for canning! Pumpkin pie here I come. Yum.

No comments: