Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Nursing Triad

For anyone who has tandem nursed or nursed multiple children, this

http://mothering.com/articles/new_baby/breastfeeding/nursing-triad.html

is a great read. My Libby didn't have nearly the struggle with letting Hudson nurse as this little girl did, but the basis of the story still applies. I look at Libby sometimes and think, "She is such a big girl; making friends with the random mommy and child that happens to come and sit where we are playing; walking around singing "Twinkle twinkle little star"; climbing into the car by herself; wanting to drive everywhere. How can she be getting so big and still need to nurse? And then the moment comes when she falls and hits her head on the concrete and comes to me saying, "I wan nurse, Mama. I wan nurse, Mama" or she isn't quite sure what to make of a situation or gets scared by some strange man who tries to play with his own grandchild at the playground. And then I remember. She needs me. She still needs me. And maybe the reason why she is able to be so grown up in her barely 2 year old 25lb little body is because she knows that she can come back and reconnect in the way only a mama and her child can. And then there are the times when I am nursing them both and Hudson is playing with Libby's hair, and she plays with his toes, and smile with love for them both. My sweet babies. My little nurslings.