Monday, October 6, 2008

National Midwifery Week

This week is National Midwifery Week. This was the most useable picture of my dear midwife, Sandra, from Hudson's birth that I could find. In all of the other pictures I was naked because, well, I was giving birth, and my pictures from Libby's birth aren't on my computer. In the bottom left of the picture is my aunt, Miriam, who used to be a midwife. I don't have enough words to say about Sandra. She is the most caring, knowledgeable, calm, sweet woman I know. She is more than our midwife, and I hope that the friendship that we have formed since we met her 3 years ago continues forever. She has helped me as I delivered my two babies, and she has been a calm presence during my two high energy labors. Thank you, San, for all you have done. I love you and love the role you play in our family.

If you have a midwife, make it a point to show her some love this week.
Edited to add: I guess this is actually National Nurse-midwifery Week. A nurse-midwife is different from a midwife. Nurse-midwives are licensed to practice in the realm of a hospital, and midwives (both CPMs and direct entry midwives) attend births in the woman's home (among many other differences).

No comments: