Wednesday, February 22, 2012

So easy cheesy chicken enchiladas

(It's quite a spread when you are feeding five)

I don't have exact measurements for this recipe, because I loosely followed a recipe from my Food Nanny cookbook (actually, it's isn't mine, it belongs to the library, and just the fact that I referred to it as mine lets me know that I REALLY need to get my own copy) for the cooking times and temperature. But, it is so quick and easy that I know it will become a family favorite.

Chicken Enchiladas
-about a pound of chicken, cut into strips
-lots of shredded cheese, in any combination you choose (the recipe calls for monterey jack and pepper jack combined with cheddar, but I only had mozzarella to combine with cheddar)
-any enchilada fillers you choose (mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, etc)
-flat tortilla shells (you can use the big or small ones, but I can only find the big ones in whole wheat, so that is what I always use)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and liberally spray your baking dish with oil. I don't like much leftovers, so I just used a square baking dish and squeezed them in there.
2. Cook the chicken until done.
3. Lay your tortilla shell out, fill it as much as you want with chicken, cheese, and whatever fillings you choose.
4. Roll up tortilla shell and hold it closed with a toothpick. Place in greased pan.
5. Once all of your tortillas are filled and in your pan, spray over your shells with olive oil. This will make sure the shells are nice and golden crispy. I also sprayed the areas where my tortillas were touching each other so they didn't stick together.
6. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until golden on top sides. Take out the toothpicks and carefully flip enchiladas over. Cook for another 5 minutes or so until golden brown.

You can serve these with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, or anything you choose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

enchiladas are a staple at our house- thanks for linking up with Kids in the Kitchen- we'd love it if you'd share our button!