Friday, July 18, 2008

Let's ID some bugs, shall we?

Here are some of the bugs that I got during my last pest pick-up. I just bit the bullet, donned a glove, and knocked these guys to their death. Now I need a little help figuring out what they are. I know the "pretty bug" in the middle is a Japanese Beetle, and boy are they fast. Fortunately the ones that ran.. er.. flew.. away have not come back yet. The smaller guys with the spots on them are the one that like the squashes, right? They were on my pumpkin plant (which, by the way, only has that one big pumpkin on it, because any smaller ones that start to grow get eaten by something...bummer). The one I need help with is the one that looks like a ladybug but is bigger and orange. You may have to click on the picture to see them better. They are orange, with orange legs and head, and have black spots on them, not red with black spots, legs, and head like ladybugs. Are they some sort of lady bug that I haven't seen before? They looked like they were eating the leaves and flowers that they were on. I only got the two that I saw right away in case I actually want them there. I know the squash type bugs have the same coloring, but they are more long and narrow, as opposed to these being short and round. Alright, any thoughts?







No comments: